Friday, December 12, 2008

Still Pursuing the Perfect Loaf

I have made bread twice this week. The first loaf that I mentioned here still wasn’t right. I think the problem is the kneading. The bread is turning out similar to what it did when I first started making bread by hand – I don’t think the machine is kneading the dough for long enough. I made another loaf yesterday but used some bread improver that I purchased at the supermarket and the bread turned out really well.


I really really don’t want to use bread improver though. Here are the ingredients: Sugar, Mineral Salts (170, 516), Emulsifiers (472E Soy), Wheat Flour, Soy Flour, Malt Flour, Anticaking Agent (504) Flour Treatment Agents (223, 300), Enzyme (Amylase 1100).


I have no idea what the numbers mean but I assume they are artificial (please correct me if I am wrong) and I think it defeats the whole point of making your own bread if you are going to put all this into your loaf.


The other thing I will try is to add gluten flour to the mix and see if that makes any difference. I haven’t been able to find any locally yet but I can get it online. I could also try using different types of flour. I am using a bakers flour at the moment which I think is a stronger flour. Not sure if that makes it easier or harder to make a good loaf though.


The machine also has a dough setting. Perhaps I can use that setting first so the dough will get a double knead? I will try that too.


Haven’t had much time for Christmas sewing so over the next couple of weeks I will post pics of my other Christmas things that I made in previous years.


3 comments:

Minni Mum said...

Hi Emma,
I think you'll find that the gluten flour makes a big difference - and without all the artificial whatevers that are in the bread improver.

Cheers, Julie

Emma said...

Thanks Julie,

I will give it a go. Do you know where I can buy gluten flour?

Emma

Taryn said...

I wish you were in America- because I know where to buy gluten here! Sorry.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...