Monday, February 9, 2009

The Weekend’s Heat

Well, this weekend was terrible.

My heart goes out to those suffering in the bushfires in Victoria. Here is a link to the latest report from the Sydney Morning Herald. At the time of writing this, over 100 people have died and they expect this figure to rise and 750 homes have been lost.

Sydney got through the weekend relatively unscathed – we were lucky. Today is quite cool so far, a huge change from the weekend. What we need now is some of the rain that is flooding parts of Queensland.

Although they won’t be reading my blog, I would also like to mention the heroic efforts of the volunteer fire fighters. Without them, I am sure that the damage from Australia’s bushfires would be much worse. Thank you.

2 comments:

Linda said...

It was very hot here, apparently 44, and hot in Canberra. A strange combination with the awful news. I am glad it was cool, it was cool here to start with and not as bad as yesterday.

I think I feel a little inadequate next to the people who are in the front line, but keeping positive is important for the rest of us too. We have four kids who depend on us. Looking forward to a change in temperature. I hope all the other fires are contained quickly, it feels bad that things aren't finished like being torn two ways.

Emma said...

Hi Linda,

I hope you are still safe. I grew up in a bushfire prone area and the idea of being in the middle of a bushfire is terrifying.

Emma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...