Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Banana Muffins

We were off to Mother's Group today and I baked some banana muffins for the little ones and of course the not so little ones. It is my understanding that because the mini muffins fit in your mouth in one go they are 'fat free'. Please do not correct me if I am mistaken although confirmations are welcome.
Everyone loved the muffins and they were inhaled as soon as I put them on the table.

Banana Muffins

2 cups self raising flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
125g unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
2 mashed bananas

Sift flour and stir in the sugar. Add the butter, egg and banana and ¾ of the milk. Mix with a wooden spoon and add more milk if needed. Spoon into greased muffin trays and bake in an oven preheated to 180oC for 15-20mins or until golden.
Remove from trays and allow to cool on a wire rack. Alternatively, risk burnt fingers and break muffins open and smear with butter and eat whilst hot.

I can usually get about 36 mini muffins or 12 mini muffins and 12 normal sized muffins from this recipe. I tend to freeze most of them as soon as they are cool.

I find it so satisfying to bake something from scratch.

It's more than being frugal by not buying packet mix or using mushy bananas instead of throwing them out. It's about taking the time to prepare our food rather than mindlessly picking something with huge amounts of packaging and preservatives off the supermarket shelf. It's about having the ability to whip up afternoon tea when friends drop in with ingredients from my pantry. Its about being aware of what is in the food I give my family. It is all of these things and more; it is also a very small step towards living a simpler life.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...