Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Last Minute Morning Tea

Today I was on morning tea duty at Playgroup and as always I was my usual organised self and did not get around to baking a cake yesterday. I really didn't want to buy a cake, not only are they really expensive but they also aren't very nice.

So, this morning I cooked 2 batches of scones and served them still warm with strawberry jam and cream for morning tea.

I was amazed (and a little shocked) at the response from the other Mums. Everyone seemed really impressed that I had scones for morning tea. In particular, they were surprised that I actually made the scones instead of buying them at Baker's Delight. (at $4ish each?) They were surprised in a good way - I received a lot of thank yous.

The thing is, I see scones as a last minute thing - the sort of things you cook when unexpected guests drop in or when you don't have time to bake a cake. I also think they are super yummy - as did the other Mums.

I guess it just goes to show that most people are not living simply. People do not take the time to bake, even though scones take about 10 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook. For less than the cost of 2 packets of biscuits, we had a lovely homemade morning tea that was super yummy and not full of sugar and preservatives. And even though it was a morning tea that is one of the quickest, cheapest things you can make, it was a special treat at Playgroup.

I think that is a little sad.

3 comments:

Fay said...

I totally agree with you. I am currently writing a church talk on the lost art of homemaking. It really has gone missing.
I baked 3 cakes on sunday night for my daughters cake stall on monday. Parents were shocked and amazed that not only had I baked them but that I had the time to bake three!! I think it took hubby and I 15 minutes to prepare them all and then an hour baking. Really not hard at all.

Kelly said...

So what is the recipe for the yummy scones? I would love anything I can make that fast...

Emma said...

Kelly, I have posted my recipe for scones today. Here is the link:
http://the--berry--patch.blogspot.com/2009/05/simple-scones.html

Fay, your talk sounds really interesting. Will you be posting it on your blog too?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...